Costume design





▼△


▼△


▼△
The costume designers take the idea and the description of the characters and they make them real. The importance of costume, its development, context, meaning and change is incredibly important for a film to make sense, tell a story within itself or signify something; perhaps using a particular colour, such as red, to sygnify the conflict in the Les Misérables  movie. 
From watching all of those videos I found my absolute favorite: 
Paco Delgado (1965 - )


He is a costume desginer known from films such as ;
  • Split (2016)

  • The Danish Girl (2015)

  • Les Misérables (2012)

He loves the pre-production part of a film and working with interesting scripts. This part is vry importantto him, therefore I tried to focus on our scripts and tried to understand who the characters are and what they would be like. 
He likes when people tell him that his costumes tell the stories, and I wanted our characters to tell stories through their costumes as well. 
For example:

Rosemarry - I imagined her wearing something like a cardigan. Something that would help her with hiding away from everything that sourands her; the emotions and people and her grief itself. 
Jess - I did not want her to wear sparkly dress. Friends borrow simple clothes, when they see each other like pyjamas or shurts fror 5 minutes because there was something wrong with their own clothes. That is why I decided Jess to wear a simple shirt and vry basic and boring crop top. Very casual clothes, taken by chance, that for Jess are the most important things in the whole world. It also shows how close those friends were. They were borrowing anything because they were spending time together and maybe even sharing clothes and not noticing it.

Another designer I really like was Jenny Beavan (1950)

She is known from films such as: 

1. Mad Max (2015)



2. Sherlock Holmes (2009)



3. The King's Speech (2010)


I really liked how she was talking about the costumes that she has made for the Mad Max; how she really thought of the meaning behind the characters and who they are. I also looked at the costumes themselves and I was amazed by the attention to detail. 


 It showed me how little things and small details create a very unique and special design. It made me very cereful with what kind of clothes or colors I am using. For example Melinda - wears a red dress for her episode were she asks Joel out. Red signifies passion and love, and that is why I used the color in the episode, to show that she has romantic intentions towards Joel. 
 

Comments